Sunday, May 15, 2005

Larger than Life: Sam Houston

Trying my hand (literally) at something new, I am designing a 2.5"x3.5" trading card for an ACEO auction and mini-competition on eBay. It's been about 35 years since I painted something this small, and I am drawing this time, not painting. The theme is "Heroes" and in looking through my reference file, I found photos of the larger-than-life Sam Houston monument just south of Huntsville, Texas. This really is an oxymoron as I am pendering* a mini-trading card of a giant statue that towers over tall pine trees ... and attempting in a surreal way to bring in the "yellow rose of Texas."
Here is a peek at my reference photos. If you will look closely at the base of the monument on the right, you will see my 7 year old grandson.
Sam Houston monument Sam Houston monument
Larger than Life: Sam Houston, a Texas hero
To learn more about Sam Houston, click on this blog title.
--
*pendering: the action of rendering an image with colored pencil 
—as defined by V. Bridges Hoyt

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me hear from you!