Saturday, July 30, 2005

Sunflower Study Two

After participating in a Janie Gildow workshop on colored pencil over watercolor, I revisited the sunflower study. Why not? I wasn't happy with the watercolor painting anyway. Why not just practice a bit with the colored pencil techniques learned in the Gildow workshop?
Sunflower Demo 2
Sunflower Study with colored pencil, work-in-process
This is the beginning of that experiment, and I could see the difference immediately. Definitely, the colored pencil I added over the watercolor really popped the petals and center button with brighter, more vibrant color. I worked colored pencil into the upper sunflower, and I shaded the pear with graphite. I brought a bit of green and ebony down into the upper jar. I added color to the bowl beyond and started to define the tablecloth with shadows and highlights. I decided to continue with the sunflower study. I will do this painting for myself hanging this one on my own wall. Then I'll apply what I've learned to an original composition with a different subject. Applying a base of watercolor before adding colored pencil considerably speeds up the colored pencil process.

My first attempt at the sunflowers with only watercolor can be seen two posts below.