Tuesday, August 2, 2005

Sunflower Study Four

I am falling in love with sunflowers. The package of seeds on my kitchen countertop begs to be planted. Mom always had a few giant sunflowers growing in the yard near her bird feeder.
Sunflower 4
Sunflower Study Stage 4, work in process
When I was a child, I would accompany my mother to the pear tree in the pasture. She would shake the tree; the pears would fall; and I would help her gather the pears for making pear preserves, eating one or two before we arrived back home in the kitchen. This painting will definitely remain in my personal collection. It evokes fond memories.

I really like the look of watercolor combined with the colored pencil. I'll leave pure watercolor in the background and in parts of the flowers to push them back. I am beginning to think of my next composition, and I'm becoming anxious to finish this one.