Monday, May 29, 2006

Art Creep

Art creeps into my mind at unexpected times ... like ALL the time. I can be driving or walking or talking to someone and suddenly a light bulb with a painting vision goes off in my head. I have always been an artist ... but my first remembered moment was one Christmas when I was about 3 or 4 years old and my grandmother gave me crayons and a coloring book for Christmas. I loved it right away ... and kept coloring always, even in my little brother's coloring book when I was an older child. Then I graduated to a pan of watercolor paints and a piece of poster board. As soon as possible my mom ordered me oil paints from the Sears Roebuck catalog (yes, we could order ANYTHING from Sears in those days) and enrolled me in an oil painting class when I was about 9 yrs. old. I still have those paintings. I remember sitting in high school Speech class and drawing a portrait of the boy sitting in front of me during the lectures (hiding my work behind the covers of my notebook, of course).

I feel a special comraderie to all other artists who share that "zone" of space and time and eternity we get while painting. I have chased other pursuits while my passion of painting lay in the sidelines ... to be pursued with zeal from time to time then put on the back burner again as work and family took the forefront.

I keep thinking it's now or never ... so I'm slowly making changes in my life to allow more focus on making art ... seriously.