Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Barns and Valentines

My dad used to say all important people were born in February: George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, and him! 

The majority of our population today is urban, but the rural life is something I wish my kids could have experienced. Getting up early mornings to gather vegetables from the garden. Swimming in the old mill pond down the hill. Exploring rural barns. 

I painted the piece below to highlight our disappearing barns in the east Texas countryside. This is a scene from Houston County about 40 years ago. I doubt this old barn is even still standing, least of all that someone is hanging their wash out to dry in it. I found it on the southeast side of Grapeland out near the Davy Crockett National Forest.


Art shown is available on the One Painting a Day blog. Some of them would be great for  Valentine's Day gifts. A few come framed, ready to hang. All feature events from my life, in one way or another.




Vernita Bridges Hoyt
"Painting the Sauce of Texas"
animals • people • places • wildflowers

If you are interested in commissioning a painting,
~~~