Saturday, January 9, 2010

The Duck Fountain, Glass Half Full, Wealth


ART.  Six years ago I attended the CPSA Convention in Memphis, Tennessee. The convention was held at the impressive Peabody Hotel, and while sitting momentarily in the lobby, I sketched the Duck Fountain installed in the middle of the Peabody lobby. At the time I thought I would embark on the process of colored pencil art but soon learned I was happier with other media such as oil paints, soft pastels or watercolor. Colored pencil artists have to be the most patient of all artists. To complete a detailed rendering in colored pencil takes months of many long hours bent over a drawing board. This little sketch of The Duck Fountain took no more than one hour. Not fully completed, the sketch fades off on the bottom side.

Note: CPSA = Colored Pencil Society of America

LIFE.  Do you see the glass as half full or half empty? I vacillate back and forth, some days experiencing a half empty glass and some days a half full glass. Wealth comes in many forms: money, material assets, education, business acumen, talents, common sense, family and/or friends. I ask, "Where is my wealth? How do I honor the Lord with my wealth?" I went to that big internet library and found the answer on Yeap Chee Seng's blog [partial quote below]. 

Honoring the Lord with our wealth is only half of the message is Proverbs 3:9. In the second half, we are also told to honor him with the best part with everything we produce. This means God takes honor when we achieve the best in the things we do. Please note that I did not say doing your best. I said achieving the best. --Yeap Chee Seng


http://cheee.wordpress.com/2008/05/03/honor-the-lord-with-your-wealth/


Giving back to the Lord is not giving to a TV preacher or church out of guilt, etc. Giving back to the Lord is doing what we can to help others whether it be through gifts of money or gifts from the best part of what we produce. Giving my best will fill my glass to the rim. Take from this what you will. This is where I am today with my study of Proverbs.
Honor the Lord with your wealth and with the best part of everything your land produces. Then he will fill your barns with grain, and your vats will overflow with the finest wine.
--Proverbs 3:9-10



Today's Blessing:  It's another New Day with new adventures!