Sunday, January 10, 2010

PIGTAILS: The Piggy Bank, pastel on paper


ART.  Feeling a need to finish painting some of the unfinished art in the studio, last night I picked up the soft pastels to complete the piggy painting below. This becomes #3 of my Pigtails series. Real life piggies love to stay cool by wallowing in mud, but we people love our piggy images and our piggy banks. As a child I, like many others of you, had a ceramic piggy bank which remained intact into my adulthood. Not even a scratch showed on its shiny glazed surface. I decided to teach my then toddler son about saving coins and placed the piggy bank in his room. Every day we dropped in coins. Soon toddler son decided he wanted to take the coins out again. This particular piggy bank did not have a coin release opening in the bottom, only the top slot for dropping coins into the bank. The ceramic piggy bank had been forgiving through the years as I filled it with coins and then gently shook them back out through the top slot. Toddler son was independent and removed his coins all by himself ... the EASY way....   CRASH! 

PIGTAILS: The Piggy Bank, pastel on 9x12 inch Canson Mi Tientes paper
copyright Vernita Bridges Hoyt 2010 all rights reserved

This one is in my personal Artist's Collection.

artist@vbridgeshoyt.com


Do you see the piggy bank in The Piggy Bank painting?



Your purchase of The Piggy Bank painting will generate a donation to
Rimrock Humane Society
Roundup, Montana

LIFE.  Not recognized at the time, the broken piggy bank may have been my first lesson

in letting go. I'm a slow learner and have repeated that particular lesson time and again, not with a broken piggy bank but through the loss of other things or people I loved. Is the lesson not to become attached, not to love? No, my lesson is to recognize that life has been fuller with the attachments and the people loved and to be thankful for each experience, for the time spent, then to get up and move forward to the next life adventure. Perhaps this is the ultimate way to see the glass as half full.
My child, don't ignore it when the Lord disciplines you, and don't be discouraged when he corrects you. For the Lord corrects those he loves, just as a father corrects a child in whom he delights. [My Note: I would add also that a mother corrects a child in whom she delights, but you get the picture.]
--Proverbs 3:11-12

Today's Blessing:  It's a New Day with new adventures!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me hear from you!