Saturday, February 6, 2010

Inauguration Day expressionist oil portrait study of Obama

ART.   Last year in January 2009, I sat watching the Presidential Inauguration with sketchbook and digital camera in hand. The motion proved to be too fast for sketching, so I snapped a few shots with my camera. To my complete surprise the camera captured the ceremonial procession in still images. Still enough that I could paint from them. 




The Obama Inauguration Day portrait has been on the shelf for about a year now. I have had no urge to add to this painting. Today I picked up the portrait and decided to leave it as is, an Expressionist portrait of President Obama at the start of his term. The painting depicts a man with a future unknown. A glaze of Damar varnish on this painting captures President Obama at that place in time when his persona and presidential direction were unclear ... an appropriate finish to this painting.


$700 + $25 s/h [terms available] Use PayPal button below or email me.



Inauguration Day Impressionist Portrait of Obama, 11x14 inches


Above: detail of Obama's face.

LIFE.  Yesterday 12 year old Zain called me in tears. His little black cat Zoda had been hit and killed by a car. I believe this may have been his first personal experience with





death. Always a compassionate child, Zain's concern was that Zoda had such a short life, and he worried that her life had not been a good one. He and his dad were making a grave marker. They planned to bury her in the back yard with a small funeral. I reassured Zain that his sadness is an indication of his love for Zoda and because he had loved her, Zoda's short life had been good. Zoda's life blessed Zain with the experience of watching the miracle of new life as she birthed her one litter of kittens. 

My life has been filled with ups and downs, good and bad, and I am flawed as we all are. I am grateful I do not have the weight of the nation on my shoulders. Self-righteous, I am not. Quoting a verse or two a day is my simple way of studying Proverbs as I search for wisdom and a plan for the remaining years of my life. Follow along if you want.

A father [Solomon, King of Israel] continues with advice for his children:
The way of the righteous [good, ethical, moral, law abiding, honest] is like the first gleam of dawn, which shines ever brighter until the full light of day. But the way of the wicked [evil, sinful, immoral, corrupt, mean] is like complete darkness. Those who follow it have no idea what they are stumbling over. --Proverbs 4: 18-19*
My parenthetical phrases in red are synonyms found in the Thesaurus on my Mac dashboard.

*Proverbs are quoted from the New Living Translation of the TouchPoint Bible published by Guideposts.


email V. Bridges Hoyt