Monday, June 7, 2010

Old? Who, Me?

Strange phenomenon, age. My grandsons are visiting this week. Today I overheard one of them say to the other, "Don't ask her about the video games. She is old and won't know." Promptly, I smiled as I turned and responded, "Just because I look old doesn't mean that I am old."  They giggled and gave each other a quick look that said, "Yeah right!"

Boy on Pillows • watercolor work in progress • © V. Bridges Hoyt 2010
This is an early phase of my watercolor painting process used on Boy on Pillows. This is the painting-in-progress I mentioned a few days ago. You may not be able to tell much about this composition since this image is so early in the process. I will work on this again when I've finished the current oil portrait commission.

I have learned if I stir the pot and paint in different mediums from time to time, the discipline of studying one improves the other.  I've always loved painting with watercolor, but I put my watercolors on the back burner about eight years ago in favor of improving my oil techniques. Now I am feeling the urge to study watercolor again, but I want to do them my way. I want to explore, to experiment, to develop a style on my own time. The best way to learn is by doing.

The boys are finally asleep, I think.  We started the goodnight process about 8:30. By 9:00 they were (supposed to be) both in the bed. Something else I've learned is that on the first night of a visit, a lot of testing the rules goes on. I had to remove each boy's DS from his bedroom and then check on them twice to tell them again to go to sleep. What really did the trick though was when they each realized I would be upstairs on the computer for a while yet. "Shucks! No fooling the grandmother with her right outside our bedrooms." As I said, the best way to learn is by doing.