Thursday, July 29, 2010

Daily Postcard Paintings

Today's Quote: “That every man find pleasure in his work — this is a gift from God.” Ecc. 3:13 

ART.  Here is the full size 11x14 inch sheet where I have painted the smaller 4x6 inch postcard art series with one more to be painted.  I have offered the small paintings individually but if anyone is interested in owning the whole sheet of eight paintings, you'll be able to get all eight works together for a discounted price. Hang the 11x14 inch sheet on your wall or cut apart, mat and frame the smaller pieces on different walls in different rooms, or give all or some of them away as gifts. Christmas is just around the corner.

My paintings are all copyrighted, and I reserve all rights under USA and International copyright law. © Vernita Bridges Hoyt 2010.

LIFE.  Painting is a pleasurable activity, and I have always viewed the ability to paint as a gift from God. Most artists will tell you that. Some will not. Since my grandmother gave me that first coloring book and crayons for Christmas when I was three years old, I wanted to be an artist, but I took over half a lifetime to realize that art is my natural vocation and calling whether used through painting, creating stained glass windows, or designing Architecture.

I downloaded The Bucket List from iTunes and watched it a couple of nights ago. Just as I expected, it was a tear jerker that pulled up some difficult memories but with enough comic relief to break up the sad movie moments. I found parts of the story believable and parts of the presentation unbelievable, having been along for the ride in the passenger seat (2000-2001) while my late husband experienced metastasized lung cancer, neurosurgery followed by radiotherapy and chemotherapy for a year before the angels came for him. The experience of stage 4 cancer was made light in the movie, understandably so since the message was more about living one's life to the fullest and realizing what the "fullest" really is. In the end, the "fullest" proved to be family relationships. In a nutshell the message I got from The Bucket List movie was found in the retelling of the story about the ancient Egyptians who believed they would be asked two questions to qualify for entrance into Heaven.

1. Have you found joy in your life?
2. Has your life brought joy to others?