Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Path of Transition

"... planning is such a misleading concept. It takes your eyes off where you are and how your life is now, which is the essential data of existence. You fail to arrive where you planned, not because you couldn't visualize the place but because you didn't see that the path you were on was the place ..."
--William Bridges

ART.  Transitions are found all around us.

Trinity Church stage 1 • oil painting • copyright V. Bridges Hoyt 2010
The abstract canvas above was the groundwork for my painting of the small historical church in Trinity, Texas.  I laid the painted canvas aside overnight.

Trinity Church stage 2 • oil painting • copyright V. Bridges Hoyt 2010 
The next morning I saw a small church in the paint, a small church that I had driven past many times as I drove south along Hwy. 19 through Trinity, Texas. Over the years I watched this small clapboard church slowly wither away.  The building is in decay and nearly gone, but the church has been memorialized in paint on canvas.

Trinity Church, Texas • oil painting • copyright V. Bridges Hoyt 2010
SOLD


The completed painting of Trinity Church transitioned from an abstract background to show the light side and the dark side of the church in white and color out of the background paint.  During the art show "Windows of the Soul" I was asked which of the church paintings is my favorite. I always am challenged by that question.  Each painting is so different and has its own meaning to me. If pressed, I would admit that the painting of the church in Trinity may be my favorite of this first series of five historical church paintings.  Trinity was the conception of the series. This painting evolved naturally and easily without any pushing.  Those are the paintings I like best, the paintings that are what they want to be and not what I want them to be.

Like people, the churches in this series all have a light side and a dark side dependent on where the sun shines.