Copyright

Texas Sauce Art Life ... ramblings about art and life. Published since January 2005. Images and content © Vernita Bridges Hoyt. All Rights Reserved. If quoting parts of this blog, please provide a back link to http://txsauce.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Partridge in a Pear Tree

I had always wondered about the timing and the meaning of The Twelve Days of Christmas lyrics. The internet (google search) has answered those questions for me. You can read the complete story with meanings of all the days by clicking on "the twelve days of Christmas" below. My plan is to illustrate these verses, literally. Although I got a slow start, I will try to catch up to the right date. Here from my imagination is a partridge in a pear tree. 


December 26 

On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me—
a Partridge in a Pear Tree 

Partridge in a Pear Tree 
watercolor and ink on Arches 140# cp paper
8x8 inches

© Vernita Bridges Hoyt 2010

Painting will be offered for sale when this series is complete 
on January 6.

The lone partridge in a pear tree represents Jesus Christ, the son of God, born on Christmas Day. Traditionally, the twelve days of Christmas start on the evening of Christmas Day which makes "the first day of Christmas" December 26.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful Vernita! I so enjoy your newsletter and am looking forward to it in 2011. Merry Christmas!
    Beckie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vernita,
    I guess you are painting the series 12 days of Christmas? I didn't realize there was so much symbolism in the song. I am enjoying seeing your images and reading about them...keep up the good work!
    Leada

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the 12 Days of Christmas series. Thanks to you both, Leada and Beckie, for your comments.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome! Thank you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...