Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Pastel Study of White Lily


"I like flowers, I also like children, but I do not chop their heads and keep them in bowls of water around the house." —George Bernard Shaw

White Lily. Pastel on Mi Tientes toned paper. 8x10 inches.
ART.  White Lily. Pastel Study on Mi Tientes black toned paper. 8x10 inches.  110225  

In answer to a challenge at WetCanvas.com and throwing caution to the wind, for the first time in my life I sketched a lily.  I love flowers in the garden, but they have never been my focus in painting. This lily sketch qualifies for a quick daily painting and will be exhibited in the Daily Painters Gallery. I think you'll be seeing more lilies coming up soon as I challenge myself to a series of flowers.

For more about this artwork, contact txsauce@txsauce.net.

Soft pastel is a pure pigment in stick (or chalk) form and is rubbed onto the paper or other surface as one would use a chalk or charcoal stick. Pastel art requires a frame with glazing (picture glass) and a mat (or two) to lift the glass away from the soft pastel pigment. The glazing preferably is glass. I learned the hard way that a permanent glazing of acrylic or plexiglas attracts the soft pastel pigment like a magnet attracts metal shavings. The plexiglas is good for shipping but should be changed out to picture glass soon after receipt of pastel artwork.

Christmas Amaryllis Gift

LIFE. Last Christmas my daughter gave me an amaryllis bulb for Christmas. We planted the bulb and, to my surprise, it sprouted green shoots that quickly grew into a beautiful flower or two or three. After a few weeks the flower died, but I was slow moving the bulb. Two days ago I noticed new growth. We are going to have a second generation of Amaryllis blooms on the kitchen window sill. I can't wait to see if they are as beautiful as the first ones were.






1 comment:

  1. Oh my this quick sketch as you say took my breath away... after I finish my commission I must dig them out and play once again. Peace, Mary Helen

    ReplyDelete

Let me hear from you!