Friday, June 13, 2014

Live Model Figure Sketches in Mixed Media

Figure Sketches #6, #4, and #5 (left to right) of the previous model: 

Composite of Three 15 Minute Sketches #6, #4, and #5,
#5 and #6 are graphite pencil,
#4 in the center is mixed media of charcoal, Conte pastel pencil, and Pigma Brush pen.
Each pose was sketched on a separate 12x9 inch sheet of Bristol Plate 2-ply paper.

I assembled this composite layout digitally. I sort of like it. In reality each pose is on its own individual sheet of 12x9 inch paper. I think I'll rework it a little and offer a print of the three poses together. You will find the individual originals in the sidebar of my blog or at TXsauceStudio.Etsy.com/

It really is a long way to drive in to Houston for the live model session, but about 15 artists share the expense of the professional model that way. I consider myself a beginner at figure drawing, and I am honored to have the opportunity to sketch alongside some fine artists. The lab offers no critique and no instruction. We each do our own thing and learn our craft by doing. Practice makes perfect, if one can say that art is ever perfect. Really it is not, but as a child learns through play, an artist finds his/her own style by repeated and frequent practice, something I've not had enough of throughout the past several  months.



Use wisely what you have been given and you will be given more.  MATTHEW 25:29

As a child, I was reprimanded for daydreaming. Today my daydreams morph into paintings. 
V. Bridges Hoyt — painting the sauce of Texas™. 

View my Texas Impressionist Oil Paintings
Subscribe to my blog letter in the top sidebar at Texas Sauce Art Life, or contact me here. I do not share your email address.