Monday, March 30, 2009

Border Collie and Boxer with Soccer Ball, oil painting of dogs


Finished Painting Shown Above
~

ART. The image below is a preview of today's painting. I'll finish it tonight. This painting will be available on Saturday, April 4.  Your purchase will help an animal at True Blue Animal Rescue.

I've more to do on the boxer and a little more to do on the soccer ball.  Thanks to Brooke and Yoshi for their modeling expertise ... the dogs start out with good intentions but don't stay still for very long. I typically have to come up with my own composition based on action photos I've taken of them outside playing. One day I saw them playing tug of war with a rope, and another day they chased the soccer ball. In my mind's eye, I envisioned them at a standoff over the soccer ball ... and here you have the painting in progress. To reserve this 5"x7" oil painting for yourself, just send me an email -- txsauce@txsauce.net

A portion of this sale will be donated to True Blue Animal Rescue in Brenham, Texas, which is the rescue organization that saved Brooke from heartworms a couple of years ago. To see more of their good works, go to www.tbar.org/

LIFE. The home studio was a long time coming ... over 30 years. When I first moved in this house the game room upstairs was used as a playroom, and I had my easel set up in the corner of the breakfast room. Three years ago when I joined the Daily Painting Movement, I was still painting in the breakfast room. Two years ago I rented a space in Old Town Spring and opened Texas Sauce Studio & Gallery. Last month when I closed the gallery in Old Town Spring, it seemed finally to be time for a game room conversion. It was the only room large enough to contain all the art supplies I now owned, so I hired a professional painter/handyman and the conversion began.

I failed to get a truly "before" photo but I think this one will do. In this photo the original carpet is still on the floor, but the walls are bare. Many years ago a leaky roof around the chimney had been repaired, but when the vinyl wall covering was ripped down, a wall of hidden mildew revealed itself.




After treatment and refinishing, the walls were painted a soft sage green. Removal of the carpet revealed a subfloor of 2x6 tongue-in-groove planks. I had the subfloor sanded, stained and sealed to match the wood banister and paneling elsewhere in the house. This photo of the finished room (before furnishings) gives a good overall view of the new floor and wall finishes.

Below you see the room after the studio furnishings were moved into the house. As soon as the studio space is organized, supplies put away and paintings hung, I will post the final image of the new home studio where I hope to be most productive with new paintings this year.  I have a good start with 22 paintings completed since January 1 ... and more canvases started.




Event: The Woodlands, Texas. I will be demonstrating still life painting at The Woodlands Waterway Art Festival on Sunday afternoon, April 5, in Town Center grassy plaza next to the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion. If you're in the area, come on out, watch me paint and join the fun. View and/or purchase art from over 200 national artists participating in the Festival.

V. Bridges-Hoyt
"Painting the Sauce of Texas"
animals • flowers • people • places

and more

To commission a painting or portrait,
~~~