Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Turnip Greens, Obama and Bluebonnets

EVENTS.  This week I'll be judging art at the Houston County Fair in Crockett, Texas. I'm looking forward to seeing all the entries in the three categories: elementary school, high school and adult.

ART.  Tonight I accepted an Artcolony challenge to paint a "mess" of some kind. Having grown up in the South, the first thing that came to my mind was a mess of turnip greens. The second thing coming to my mind was a messy kitchen. I decided on the turnip greens. The painting is 16"x20" oil on canvas and will be available on April 10 at the One Painting a Day blog. If you click on this image, you'll see a much larger detail view. Hope you like it. When this painting sells, I'll donate a portion of it to cancer research.


 Work-in-Progress. I decided to study President Barack Obama. During the January Inauguration process, I experimented with taking digital photos of the TV screen and captured Obama in his first salute to the U.S. troops. I saved the image hoping to use it as a painting reference. Today was the day. Still working on this work-in-progress portrait study with a little more tweaking to do on the features, I hope to finish the face and hand sometime next week.

As I studied the reference to set up my painting, I realized that Obama has the perfect face. All his features are in exact proportion to the published ideal for the human head. That's actually a bit unusual. The man lives a charmed life. 

LIFE.  Blankets of Texas Bluebonnets covered the landscape on last week's trip to the farm. 

The blooms are especially blue this year as you can see in this close up detail of the teeny blue bonnets growing out of each stem.



Today's Blessing: FREEDOM in the USA.

V. Bridges-Hoyt
"Painting the Sauce of Texas"
animals • flowers • people • places

To commission a painting or portrait,
email txsauce@txsauce.net
~~~