Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Philosophy of Wisdom

I know not where this blog came from, but I started to write and, although I didn't know I had one,  the philosophy side of me came out.  I may be going out on a limb to share my personal thoughts. The limb may branch in a direction you don't want to follow, but I'll share anyway. You can always stop, back up and climb down the tree.
Wisdom will multiply your days and add years to your life. If you become wise, you will be the one to benefit. If you scorn wisdom, you will be the one to suffer. --Proverbs 9:11-12
In the Holy Bible, Wisdom is personified as female. An excellent book by Sue Monk Kidd, author of the best seller The Secret Life of Bees, explores the Feminine Divine in her book The Dance of The Dissident Daughter.  For any woman, it's a book so worth reading.

Wisdom speaks again in more verses from Proverbs:
"The Lord formed me from the beginning, before he created anything else. I was appointed in ages past, at the very first, before the earth began. I was born before the oceans were created, before the springs bubbled forth their waters. Before the mountains and the hills were formed, I was born--before he had made the earth and fields and the first handfuls of soil.
"I was there when he established the heavens, when he drew the horizon on the oceans. I was there when he set the clouds above, when he established the deep fountains of the earth. I was there when he set the limits of the seas, so they would not spread beyond their boundaries.; And when he marked off the earth's foundations, I was the architect at his side. I was his constant delight, rejoicing always in his presence. And how happy I was with what he created--his wide world and all the human family!" --Proverbs 8:22-31
Wisdom is not mentioned in the Genesis account of creation, however Genesis 1:27 says that God created male and female in 'his' own image.

So God created people in his own image; God patterned them after himself; male and female he created them. --Genesis 1:27

The teachings of the church have been traditionally patriarchal. God is always referred to in the male gender, but oh my friends--just read the verses above and open your mind. If God patterned male and female after "himself" then God was male and female all in one. God just was ... and God just is. God encompasses all.

The Bible "teaches that the wisdom to master life's challenges and to understand spiritual truth is found only in God."[Helpfinder, New Living Translation]  Yet in verse after verse, "Wisdom" is referred to as feminine. Where I am going with this is not to refute biblical teachings but to recognize that there is power and divinity also in the feminine.

Women have been and are still abused by a worldwide flawed cultural (patriarchal) system.  From woman to woman I say to you, as modern day philosopher Thomas V. Morris wrote on Twitter, "Don't let anyone get away with treating you as anything less than the unique creation you are!" 

__________
The Book of Proverbs was written by Solomon with contributions by Amur and Lemuel in the later sections. The Book of Genesis (and the account of creation) was written by Moses. All Biblical quotes are from the Touchpoint Bible, New Living Translation by Guideposts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me hear from you!