Thursday, July 24, 2008

The 1st Portrait of Jenny

Sometimes paintings take a long time. The commissioned portrait of Jenny unintentionally slipped into that category. During the midst of family responsibilities and health issues, my muse slipped away as the painting of Jenny, a most beautiful Dachshund, transitioned through many phases and revisions.

I want to share with you the process that began after an initial contact in September 2007.

This was my first interpretation of Jenny painted from photographs sent by Jenny's human. The initial sketch went well, and the portrait was soon completed by mid-October. However, the client declined this portrait although he called it a "loving portrait." I had not understood that he wanted one of my Dachshunds in Hats. I offered to repaint the portrait of Jenny in a hat. 
..........
This painting is not available.