Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Sunflower Work-in-Progress

For the 4th of a sunflower series, this work-in-progress shows a little bit of my process when using colored pencil. This is Mi-Tientes orange toned paper which creates my middle tone. I add the lights and the darks to come up with an image through negative painting (or rendering, as my architectural background would have me call it in this case).  Still, I start with the blank paper and create the image with tone as I work. It's rather like sculpting in 2-D since the image comes to life out of layers of tone instead of an initial contour drawing. If you don't see it now, you'll see it on the next progress post. I'll finish this one some time this week, but I have some other work to finish first.

This is one more piece to the collage I paint of my life in Texas.

© 2008 Vernita Bridges-Hoyt

"Painting the Sauce of Texas"
animals • people • places • wildflowers





If you are interested in commissioning a painting,
email artist@vbridgeshoyt.com
~~~