Monday, March 8, 2010

Birthdays, The Hobbit, The Art of Happiness, Walking in this World and Cattle

ART.  
Grazing for Breakfast 
© V. Bridges Hoyt 2010 
Beefmaster Cattle 
watercolor wash and line on Canson 185# archival paper 
5x7 in. image mounted in 11x14 in. double white-white mat 

detail of painting "Grazing for Breakfast" © V. Bridges Hoyt 2010

Purchase by credit card with the PayPal button below 
or contact Vernita to pay by personal check. 



$70 + shipping 
LIFE. Today I walked into the new used book store that opened just down the street. I was pleasantly surprised by quite a wide selection of "Once Read ~ Twice Sold" books in good condition.  I asked about selling some of my own "once read" books. Yes! I found a market for them. After browsing the bookshelves, I purchased The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien for the 12 year old grandson and also a Dalai Lama book The Art of Happiness for myself. The line that I remember from my own reading of The Hobbit is Bilbo Baggins statement that "Adventures are not always pony rides in May sunshine." That quote has stayed with me since 1982 and has seen me through several major life changes which underlined the meaning of the words.  No, adventures are not always pony rides in May sunshine. That is a true fact. In fact, seldom are they pony rides in May sunshine.  I am anxious to start reading the Dalai Lama book but will wait until I finish reading Julia Cameron's Walking in this World since I'm on the last chapter. Cameron's book is good reading also.  I love books.

Wednesday my daughter will be celebrating her 39th birthday. The years have flown by so quickly. It seems like yesterday this photo was taken of her on the brand new tricycle.

Shannon at 21 months old, Christmas 1972







My Reading for Today, Lessons for Daily Life--Proverbs 6:20-23
My son [daughter], obey your father's commands, and don't neglect your mother's teaching. Keep their words always in your heart. Tie them around your neck. Wherever you walk, their counsel can lead you. When you sleep, they will protect you. When you wake up in the morning, they will advise you. For these commands and this teaching are a lamp to light the way ahead of you. The correction of discipline is the way to life. 

2 comments:

  1. I like your cows. Not the easiest thing to paint. I will have to check out the books too. Sweet little daughter photo. You need to paint that.
    Thanks
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, thank you ... and thanks for stopping by. What a surprise to see you here. I've often thought I would go through old family photos to use for painting reference. Maybe it's finally time to do that.

    ReplyDelete

Let me hear from you!