Friday, March 19, 2010

Spring has Sprung

Spring has definitely come to East and Southeast Texas. Redbud trees are in full bloom. This one is just outside my window, and I see it easily as I work upstairs. Wildflowers are blooming in south Texas but the wildflowers haven't arrived here yet although they should be soon. Spring is definitely in the air. 

Click on image to see detail.

Taking a few days away nearly always breaks my painting and blogging stride.  As I grow older, recovery time from a road trip is an equal number of days to the trip itself. Lately I find that daily writing means as much to me as daily painting. Recently, I've had neither. My focus has been on the day job, de-cluttering files and trying to organize a few things, and that means I will be working again on Saturday. Soon I hope to be painting again.

This week I am keeping extra pets for my son. I have his boxer, his chihuahua puppy, my grandson's tabby cat, and Border Collie Brooke. The feeding schedule takes nearly an hour because the pets must be fed in succession one at a time to avoid any squabbles. Let's just say I now have kennel experience.

Still working my way through the Book of Proverbs and simultaneously reading some teachings of the Dalai Lama in The Art of Happiness, I find that some Buddhist beliefs make more sense to me. There is always something of interest to discover in the study of religions. The Art of Happiness is a joint authorship of His Holiness the Dalai Lama and Howard C. Cutler, M.D. wherein the focus on finding happiness is a focus on feeling compassion for all people.  In other words, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you," as the Golden Rule is written in the Holy Bible.  I  have only brushed the surface but can't help but feel that Christianity and Buddhism have many common teachings.

"So whatever you wish that men would do to you, do so to them; for this is the Law and the prophets." (Matthew 7:12 RSV)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me hear from you!