Thursday, April 8, 2010

Houston County Fair Art Show and Portraits

Yesterday I judged the Houston County Fair Art Show for the 2nd year in a row. Entries were from kindergarten through 12th grade and then the adult division. 
Houston County, Texas • artist V. Bridges Hoyt
In both years of judging, I have been amazed at all the talent coming from those kids. The hardest ones to judge were the elementary school age entries.  The entries were just so creative and cute, I wanted to give them all a blue ribbon. Coming up with a Best of Show for those younger kids was a challenge. 


Many of the high school student entries showed real talent. Several students entered graphite portraits which were extremely well drawn. If I could speak directly to the entrants, I would encourage those young portrait artists to continue with portraits but to experiment with making their darks darker and to practice, practice, practice.  


Looking at a model through squinted eyes (whether a photo or live model) shows an artist where the darkest darks are and where the lightest lights are. Adding a darker value to the mid-tone grays already in the portrait will make the portrait become more 3D and more real. I hope at least some of these young artists will continue their art pursuits in the future. 


Needless to say, I came home inspired to paint. 


Recently, I was awarded a portrait commission from Canada. When completed, an image will be posted to my web site.