Friday, June 4, 2010

When We Were Kids

Malcom Forbes wrote:   Success follows doing what you want to do.  There is no other way to be successful. 
When we were kids, the start of something new was easy with all the time in the world to unleash imagination and all the time for doing whatever we happened to think of pursuing.  Why is it that we as adults hesitate and think we are being wisely cautious?  Life is to be lived.  Once gone, it's gone. 

Watercolor in Progress • Boy on Pillows
Many weeks ago, I decided to paint with watercolor again, but I have put it aside until I finish my current portrait commission ... and then a couple more that are waiting in the wings.  I will come back to the watercolor painting (partially shown above) as soon as possible.  

Soon my grandsons are coming for their summer visit which will instill in me the joy and wonder of children.  The older boy will be 13 in August.  The younger will be 9 in January. They are still young enough to live their fantasies.

I came across this blog which, from my perspective, is written by a young person. Click here to read about a child's confidence, how confidence is dampened as we grow through childhood, and what makes a child happy.
http://hilife2b.com/blog/ 
And Jesus answered, "Why are you afraid? You have so little faith!" Then he stood up and rebuked the wind and waves, and suddenly all was calm. --Matthew 8:26

Watch me paint! 

2 comments:

  1. Great post, Nita!!! I have always been convinced that artists, unlike the general population, have managed to hang on to the child-likeness that others left behind somewhere in their teens. The joy and wonder of life, the pure expression of both joy and sorrow that we have never been able to hide under the facade of sophistication or the current concept of "coolness" just can't help surfacing. For years, I considered it a curse, but as I grow older, I see it is a blessing. What a gift to be able to live life in glorious colors instead of the mundane neutrals with all the other adults.
    Enjoy your time with your grandchildren. And I love that watercolor - from what I can see of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Della, you have a wonderful way with words, "What a gift to be able to live life in glorious colors instead of the mundane neutrals with all the other adults."

    ReplyDelete

Let me hear from you!