Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Sunflower Gold 14, Abstract Sunflower by V. Bridges Hoyt


Alcohol inks on ceramic tile 4x4 inches

I've been experimenting a little with alcohol inks which I learned about in Florida last August while attending a week of watercolor workshops with some painting friends.

The inks are quick to use and relaxing fun as they have a mind of their own even more than watercolors do. I never know what I'm going to get until I get it. The metallic paints, gold and silver, are even harder to control. You see a blob of gold in the center of the abstract sunflower, yet the gold doesn't photograph as gold. It's next to impossible to catch the metallic shine on camera.

The fun comes in watching the inks flow, tilting and blowing the ink to try and manipulate an image, knowing full well the inks will flow where they want to go. I'm thinking of coasters.


As a child, I was reprimanded for daydreaming. Today my daydreams morph into paintings. 
V. Bridges Hoyt - Painting the sauce of Texas
www.vbridgeshoyt.com