Monday, April 6, 2015

Busy Busy Busy. Sunflower Susan. Stained Red for Arizona.

SUNFLOWER SUSAN
oil on cradled birch panel 6x6 inches
copyright Vernita Bridges Hoyt 2015

Busy, busy, busy seems to be the story of my life as always, but I wanted to take a few minutes to show you an image of the dry painting and my treatment of the exposed birch wood deep sides. I do believe birch wood panels are one of my favorite supports if not THE favorite. The cradled birch panels are a basic box and can be displayed upright on a shelf or table as well as hung on the wall as is … or framed. 

I stained the wood sides with a mix of alizarin crimson oil paint and turpenoid, brushed it on to the wood, and then I wiped it down with a rag. Now the sides relate to the red used in the Brown-Eyed Susan sunflowers.  I like the red as it appears almost to be a cherry wood, not to mention that it nicely accents the painting.

Soon this painting of Sunflower Susan will be on the way to its new home in Arizona. 

__________
As a child, I was reprimanded for daydreaming. Today my daydreams morph into paintings. 
V. Bridges Hoyt — painting the sauce of Texas™. 

View my Texas Impressionist Oil Paintings
Subscribe to my blog letter in the top sidebar at Texas Sauce Art Life, or contact me here. I do not share your email address.
Texas Sauce Art Life … blog about art and life. Published since January 2005. Images and content © Vernita Bridges Hoyt. All Rights Reserved. If quoting parts of this blog, please provide a back link to http://txsauce.blogspot.com/