Friday, August 28, 2015

How to Write an Artist's Statement. Fall in Love with Yourself.

 
Red Cow and Newborn Calf • "Under a Watchful Eye"

Red Cow Series: "Under a Watchful Eye"

An addition to her Red Cow series, this recently completed 16x20 inch oil painting by Vernita Bridges Hoyt will be exhibited and available for purchase in the month of September 2015 at the DaVinci Artists Gallery, 315 W. Main St. in Tomball, Texas. 


Special thanks to my friend Alison Goerner for naming this painting "Under a Watchful Eye." Titles can be a challenge after having created so many paintings. I am always grateful for title suggestions.




How to Write an Artist's Statement

"We need to fall in love with ourselves. One of the best ways to do this is to view yourself as a character, one you are fascinated by. If you observe yourself closely enough, you are interesting. Think of the Brontes' novels about ordinary people. With this tool, you will become your own biographer."
--Julia Cameron. Finding Water. The Complete Artist's Way. The Penguin Group 2007.
__________
Writing a personal artist's statement and bio has always been difficult for me, i.e. what to leave in, what to leave out. Having been taught as a child not to "brag on oneself," I end up leaving too much out. I have taken a lifetime to feel comfortable promoting my own work; that level of comfort with my own art has come about slowly since 2005, almost 50 years after identifying myself as an artist. Coming across Cameron's quote posted above, I had an aha moment. Of course! The answer is to write in 3rd person while viewing oneself as a character, "one you are fascinated by." A fascination adjustment is due. This sounds like a subject for deeper exploration.


As a child, I was reprimanded for daydreaming. Today my daydreams morph into paintings.  V. Bridges Hoyt — painting the sauce of Texas™. 
View my Texas Impressionist Oil Paintings Subscribe to my blog letter in the top sidebar at Texas Sauce Art Life, or contact me here. I do not share your email address.