Saturday, August 22, 2015

The Purple Cow, oil painting of cattle

The Purple Cow

by Gelett Burgess

I never saw a purple cow;
I never hope to see one;
but I can tell you anyhow;
I'd rather see than be one!


The Purple Cow, oil painting

The Purple Cow, © V. Bridges Hoyt 2005, 2009. oil on canvas.

If you know me well, you know I have an affinity for cows, and that "purple cows" hold a special place in my heart. A purple cow pulled me out of the pit after the death of my late husband in 2001. I was drowning in grief, and a purple cow put her head through the fence and encouraged me to smile again. 


This is a painting of four of my dad's calves. I hope the painting will speak to you and you will feel the energy and love that flows from my brush onto the canvas.


The image was used on my 2005 Christmas cards with a verse of "Away in a Manger." Mother loved it. 

The Purple Cow, © V. Bridges Hoyt 2005, 2009.
Click on image above to see a larger detail of verse on card.



At the time of sending the card, I had no way of knowing The Purple Cow would be the last Christmas card I would ever send my mother. The Lord took Mom at age 82 and promoted her to Glory four days after Christmas 2005. In 2010 at 94 years old my dad was still running cattle. At the age of 96, Dad joined Mom in May 2012.


The Purple Cow, © V. Bridges Hoyt 


detail of The Purple Cow



Sometimes a painting just turns out to be special. My adult daughter happened to think so, too. She requested I not sell this one. The painting now hangs in her house.


Click here to view full blog at Texas Sauce Art Life.


More cows coming soon.
I am painting another.

__________
All that is necessary is to accept the unacceptable, do without the indispensable, and bear the unbearable. —Kathleen Norris