Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Three Billy Goats Gruff, The Grass is Always Greener, oil painting

© Vernita Bridges-Hoyt 2009

"The Grass is Always Greener"
Three Billy Goats Gruff
oil on gallery wrap canvas with painted sides


ART.  You saw the reference photograph, and yesterday you saw the start to the painting. Today I show you the finish. I painted this one with a palette knife in my Texas Impressionist style. I always enjoy painting, but this one also presented challenges and took a little more time than I expected. One still has to think about proportion and body type when painting animals. No matter how small or impressionist they may be, I want them to look like the animal they are. In this case, they had to look like goats. I think I succeeded. I hope you'll think so, too. I have posted a larger detail to show the white goat and landscape beyond. If you click on the images, they should enlarge a little more.

LIFE.  As I painted the "three billy goats gruff," a title came to me:  The Grass is Always Greener. It sometimes seems as though a painting and title come to give me a life lesson just when I most need it. Painting, for me, is communing with God. 

There was so much quality fine art at the Dutch Art Gallery show in Dallas and so many excellent artists that I felt a bit incompetent, that maybe I need to approach painting differently, i.e. all one subject, all one style, all one medium. The grass began to look greener outside my own pasture. 

Upon return home, I came back to the photo of the goats who had gone through the fence and escaped their pasture to graze on the green grass by the farm-to-market roadside. It wasn't a busy highway, and it boasted greener grass. As the goats grazed, an occasional car drove by on the highway (a little too close for comfort from the goats' perspective), and the three goats began to look for a way back through the fence into their own pasture which had the right grass and tall shade trees and a barn for protection from storms and cars. They appeared to have forgotten their way back through the fence, but I suspect their master found them and brought them back into the fold. 

As I painted the goats, I realized that I need not doubt myself. I have been given the gift of versatility to paint what I want and the ability to paint how I want. I realized that since most of my paintings have sold, they speak to people other than myself. I realized that there is a higher purpose at work here and decided to follow the Master's lead and continue painting this collage of my life. There is a story to be told. There is much work to be done. The grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence, but it isn't necessarily so. I will appreciate the gifts that are within my own reach.




Today's Blessing: Versatility!

Texas Sauce Studio

V. Bridges-Hoyt
"Painting the Sauce of Texas"
animals • flowers • people • places