Saturday, May 21, 2011

Happiness

The summit of happiness is reached when a person is ready to be what he is. —Erasmus (c. 1466-1536), Netherlands. 
ART. Early morning studio time is the best! I always paint freely and the painting takes shape quickly when I paint early in the day. This morning my progress on the Boxer Queenty was good.


Portraits go through stages: the conceptual drawing, the first application of color washes, the buildup of color and the detailing. Somewhere in between the application of color and the painting of detail, there is what many artists call an ugly stage. I like to think of that "ugly stage" as a prenatal stage before the canvas gives birth and the subject comes to life. This morning Queenty was born. Now she only has to grow a little before she is ready to make the trip home to Luxembourg—happy in her own skin.


LIFE. When ready to be what you are, you will be happy in your own skin. Apply this thought to your work or your personal life and think about it. Are you most content and happy when you are doing what feels most natural to you?  Erasmus was a 16th century Dutch Renaissance humanist, Catholic priest, and a theologian who criticized then contemporary popular Christian beliefs because he held to the Catholic doctrine of free will. I have located three websites with history on Erasmus. Maybe you'll find these sites interesting. I did. Today's quote is such commonsense; however, many of us take a lifetime to be ready to be ourselves. Life is such a learning process.


Any questions, please click here to contact me.

6 comments:

  1. She's coming along beautifully. Wonderful darks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann, thanks so much! I'm glad you like it. I've more color to add in the body of the dog and also in the darks. Seems so close to being finished yet so far away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post Vernita :-) and the Boxer Queenty is progressing wonderfully as well.

    Know exactly what you mean about the ugly stage... every painting has one. It occurs to me that maybe life's a bit like that as well? We all go through an ugly stage before we figure out who we are and what we do and then we can be happy in our own skin. Smart man Erasmus! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. [Which is precisely the conclusion you drew from it - just agreeing with you here] rubbing my eyes and still waking up over here on this side of the world! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Queeny is coming out beautifully. The contrasts are great. You have got her eyes shining perfectly. I am anxious to see the finish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jean and Jimmie ... Thanks for your remarks! I am working this weekend to finish Queenty's portrait. My day job has slowed kept me out of the studio this week, but now I have the weekend to paint! I will be posting the finish soon.

    ReplyDelete

Let me hear from you!