Friday, June 24, 2011

Off the Beaten Path

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Ralph Waldo Emerson 

OFF THE BEATEN PATH
Pastel on 9x12 inch Jack Richeson Gator Board panel
© Vernita Bridges Hoyt 2011
available

The ART reference for this painting of cattle off the trail came from a May visit with Dad. One ritual for us has been that he would drive me around the farm to look at cattle, new calves, the hay patch, land rooted up by the feral hogs, or anything else that might be going on around the farm.  He would drive and I would take photos, lots and lots of photos. Little did I know that Dad would not be driving me after that last trip in May. He had a short hospital stay the first week of June, and yes, he has given up driving. Now I will have to get brave and drive him out in the pasture, up and down hills, across the narrow dam at the upper pond that is sandbarred and swampy with quicksand. Although my Jeep is made for off road driving, I wouldn't want to miss a wheel placement and fall into that quicksand as I round the corner to cross over the cattlebar and drive up that crooked hill. He had it down to a pattern and could have probably driven that trail blindfolded. I suppose we'll drive around on the county road to get to the other side of the farm instead of cutting across the levee.
... and LIFE goes on.

Any questions, please click here to contact me.