Monday, June 27, 2011

Queen for a Day

"I would venture to warn against too great intimacy with artists as it is very seductive and a little dangerous."
Queen Victoria


Queenty
pet portrait of boxer
watercolor and ink
20x16 inches
ART. The portrait of Queenty has been completed. I am happy with the results and so is my client. Colors used include cerulean blue, cobalt blue, cadmium yellow, yellow ochre, burnt sienna, cadmium red, raw umber and Payne's gray. The fractal background relates to the reflected light from Queenty's tiara crown.

To view enlarged detail, click on either image.

Living with the portrait while painting creates an intimate bond between artist and subject. One day this week, Queenty will be leaving me to travel to her home in Luxembourg. I will miss her presence in the studio, but she belongs with her mommy person.


Queenty
face detail
LIFE. On photographing the detail of the face, I realized that my digital camera doesn't catch as much detail as my iPhone camera does. The time has come to purchase a new, high resolution digital camera so I shall be on the lookout for a good one when I have sold another painting.


If you can suggest a good digital camera, please leave a comment.


My not so little Thor puppy is now nine months old. I have been warned by the boxer people that the "tweenager" will test me. Oh, so right they are. Every day is a test-test-test. Thor's newest pastime is to jump up on the couch or the easy chair or up on top of my bed. Although some pet owners allow their pets to sleep in bed with them, I have never done so in my history of pets. Thor's trainer recommended NOT allowing him to sleep on the foot of my mattress. She says in order to train a dog, I must think like a dog and become the pack leader. If he is allowed to sleep on the furniture or atop the bed, then he has elevated himself to my position and in order to remain the pack leader (and boss), I must stay elevated above him. That thinking makes perfect sense to me, so I have been busy with the OFF command which he continues to ignore. I can keep him off the bed by shutting the bedroom door, but the couch and chair are another challenge. He knows he is testing me because every time he jumps up on the couch, he turns and looks at me to see how I will react. "OFF, Thor! Off."

Any questions about commissioning a portrait (pet or child), click here to contact me. My mediums include oil paints, watercolor, and pastel.

If you'd like to cut to the chase and view my available daily paintings without the ramblings, check out my redesigned One Painting a Day blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome! Thank you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...