Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Southern Crepe Myrtle Blooms

Crepe myrtles conjure up visions of the old south, plantation homes, lemonade on deep front porches and garden parties, not to mention those soft, pure accents of southern belles and gentlemen before people migrated from north to south and accents were intermingled.

Crepe myrtles are home also in East Texas where many Deep South people from the Carolinas and Georgia settled after the civil war. 

First Crepe Myrtle Blooms.
Sketchbook art. 8.5 x 5.5 inches.
copyright Vernita Bridges Hoyt 2013

My crepe myrtles were transplanted 36 years ago, saplings from a kind lady in my East Texas hometown. Year after year I wait for their blooms which come in late July or early August, later than most. This year one of my trees decided to bloom earlier than usual. I attempted to capture it in line and wash in my sketchbook, just enough for a memory. I think that in the not too distant future I will be painting larger versions of some of the sketches. 


As a child, I was reprimanded for daydreaming. Today my daydreams morph into paintings.
V. Bridges Hoyt — painting the sauce of Texas.