Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Work-in-Progress #6 Watermelon oil painting 10x10

Work-in-Progress #6 • Watermelon Slices • oil on wood panel 10x10 inches
© Vernita Bridges Hoyt
ART.  There hasn't been much time to paint over the past few weeks. Last week I only found a few studio hours on Sunday afternoon, but I was able to finish the tile countertop and the plate and make a few corrections on the front watermelon slice. All is done except for the back slice of melon which I will paint in the next session at the easel. This is very, very unusual for me not to be painting in the early mornings, but other work has had the priority for now.

Google Stats show the top five, all time most viewed Texas Sauce Art Life blog posts coming through Google searches, so I suppose the key search terms would be Sunflower, Maine Coon Cat, Bluebird, Redbud and Flamingo. Here are links to those blog posts:
  1. Sunflower FREE annual Painting Giveaway! 12/27/09
  2. Maine Coon Cattitude 3/31/07
  3. Bluebird of Happiness, pastel 4/28/07
  4. Farmers Branch (Dallas) Redbud Tree, oil painting 3/20/10
  5. Flamingo Portrait, pastel art 1/26/09

LIFE.  Mother used to tell us children if we swallowed a watermelon seed, a big fat watermelon would grow in our tummies. I was very careful to spit out all the seeds. My older brother would challenge me to a seed spitting contest. Of course, he could always spit his seed the longest distance. He had a lot more spitting power in his tongue than I did, and he was older ... more experienced. I liked the sweet part of the watermelon -- the heart, the red, sugary sweet meat in the center of the melon. By the time I had eaten all the best of the heart, I was full and would leave the parts nearest the rind for someone else to eat, generally my mother. I was just a kid then, a girl growing up on a farm -- a good place for children.

Although watermelons grow on vines on the ground and clusters of grapes grow on vines trained to climb, most fruits grow on trees.  Figs grow on trees. Oranges and apples grow on trees, as do grapefruit, lemons, cherries, pears and bananas. Like fruit trees people vary in the kinds of fruit they produce, but the fruit never falls far from the tree.


Today's Quote: A tree is identified by the kind of fruit it produces. Figs never grow on thornbushes or grapes on bramble bushes.  --LUKE 6:44

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me hear from you!