Friday, March 2, 2012

Warm Memories, Expressionist Oil Painting

*Expressionism is defined as a style of painting, music, or drama in which the artist or writer seeks to express emotional experience rather than impressions of the external world.

Click on image to view detail or purchase this painting. 
Texas Landscape #8: Warm Memories. 
Oil on Arches 140# cp paper, 4x4 inches.
© Vernita Bridges Hoyt 2012. 
As I uploaded this image, I glanced at the blog sidebar with a beginning date of January 2005. My mind jumped to December 29, 2005. I quickly realized that my blog post of Happy Birthday to my mother in June of that year was to be my last birthday wish to her. A sudden sadness of grief flooded my heart, my throat and my eyes.

We never know when last moments will come. We need to make all the moments good enough to become warm memories. 

*Expressionists characteristically reject traditional ideas of beauty or harmony and use distortion, exaggeration, and other nonnaturalistic devices in order to emphasize and express the inner world of emotion. The paintings of El Greco and Grünewald exemplify expressionism in this broad sense, but the term is also used of a late 19th and 20th century European and specifically German movement tracing its origins to Van Gogh, Edvard Munch, and James Ensor, which insisted on the primacy of the artist's feelings and mood, often incorporating violence and the grotesque.

Thanks for following my Texas Sauce Art Life ramblings.
V. Bridges Hoyt

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me hear from you!